Here are some patterns to notice when determining whether your homes' deck needs repair work or a complete replacement of your deck:
Repair: Localized damages
Repair work is usually the solution for a deck when the damages are in small areas and have yet to spread. Since it's only a matter of time before the damages in a deck take over, it's essential to attack the repair issues right away.
Here are a few instances where repair work of your deck would come into play:
- Wet spots of rotting from water drainage. One cause of this is having a flowerpot with an overflow of water on the deck of your home in one place for too long.
- Early termite damage. It's extremely important to catch termite damage early on before the damage to your deck spreads, otherwise it will lead to a full deck replacement.
Decks are most commonly in need of replacement due to rotting and termites.
Here are some different effects you can notice when your deck is at the end of its life span:
- Weak or loose railing posts
- Loose nails and screws
- Rotting around the edges of the deck
- The deck has a spongy texture
- Soft spots that move in when weight is applied.
Bring in a professional to inspect your deck of your home and discuss the most cost-effective options with them. Sometimes the problem is the desk's structure and only a professional can really locate the needed changes.
We welcome you to view a Wardell Builder's YouTube video showing one homeowner's deck: http://youtu.be/_WeMfxrv2S8